Fort Mill’s Joey Curtis goes for a shot against a Clover defender during their game Monday night at Bob Jones Stadium.

The Clover Blue Eagles edged the Fort Mill boys’ lacrosse team scoring with about a minute left in the overtime period for the win.

Clover won 11-10 scoring with 59 seconds left in overtime for the sudden goal victory.

“It was not the outcome we wanted,” said Fort Mill head coach Alex Tindall. “That was the best complete game we played all year. Sometimes the ball just doesn’t go in.”

Joey Curtis got the Jackets on the board a little over three minutes into the game.

After the initial goal for the Jackets, the offense slowed for Fort Mill despite them controlling possession more than Clover. Clover was able to make the most of their possessions and scored about four minutes left in the opening period.

The Jackets’ Charlie McGuire scored at 2:42 to break the tie, but Clover came right back with consecutive goals in about 30 seconds to take the lead.

Curtis tied the match with about 90 seconds remaining in the first quarter for Fort Mill. Clover and Fort Mill would again trade goals before the end of the quarter as McGuire picked up his second goal of the game.

The two teams traded goals to open the second quarter as Curtis scored 20 seconds after Clover to get a hat trick in the game.

Scoring again slowed as Fort Mill had opportunities, but couldn’t find the back of the net. Clover scored midway through the quarter to regain the lead at 6-5, which would hold until halftime.

The Blue Eagles opened the third quarter scoring three goals in 40 seconds to extend their lead.

Fort Mill was able to get one of those goals back before the end of the quarter as McGuire scored his third goal of the game at 3:17 left in the period.

The Jackets continued to cut into the Clover lead as Mark Newland scored with about 54 seconds remaining in the quarter, and then Will Johnson added another goal with 9.5 seconds left to make it 9-8 heading into the fourth quarter.

Seventy seconds into the fourth quarter, McGuire scored his fourth goal of the game tying things at nine.

McGuire scored about three minutes later to give Fort Mill the lead again for the first time since the first quarter.

The lead was short lived as Clover scored with three minutes left in the game to tie it at 10 as that would hold to send the game into overtime.

The loss drops the Jackets to 6-6 overall on the season and 4-4 in Region 3-5A.

Mac Banks:, @fortprep

Fort Mill’s Colin Carpenter moves past a Clover defender during the Jackets match.